Over 1/3 of all ob-gyn training programs do not offer routine abortion training.
Fewer than 10% of family medicine residency programs offer routine training in first trimester abortion.
A 2015 review found that more than 40% of ob/gyn and family medicine residencies in Illinois were housed in religiously restrictive hospitals.
A May 2018 study found that the Midwest had the fewest number of abortion clinics based on the population of women of childbearing age.
What good is the legal right to abortion care without access to trained providers?
Putting professionally trained reproductive healthcare providers on the MAP since 2007.
Our mission is to improve access to comprehensive reproductive health care by training providers in abortion, miscarriage care, contraception, and pregnancy options counseling.
Rooted in the Midwest, MAP’s innovative training model fills gaps nationwide in medical education and clinical training.
My training with Midwest Access Project solidified my decision to become an abortion provider—and a reproductive justice champion. If it wasn’t for the training and the connections I made as a result, I never would have become so involved.
-MAP clinical training alum
In the Media
- Black Americans Have Reasons To Distrust The New COVID Vaccine. WBEZ’s Reset program hosted an important conversation about the long history of racism in healthcare and its impact on communities of color during the pandemic. Listen.
- Immigrants in a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Georgia are being subjected to horrific conditions and treatment, including “jarring medical neglect” and a high rate of hysterectomies among women, according to a whistleblower complaint filed by several legal advocacy groups on behalf of a nurse who works there. Read More.
- MAP co-founder Dr. Debra Stulberg discusses access to contraception in Chicago. Dr. Stulberg appeared on WBEZ’s “Reset with Jenn White” on a show entitled, “Closing the Gap Series Looks at Non-Equal Access to Contraceptive Care”. The episode aired in December 2019. Listen.
- Becoming an abortion provider is filled with barriers, too. Physicians, students and residents speak out about the barriers they overcame to get trained in abortion care. Read More.
- Why are so many medical students using papayas to get trained in abortion care? Students around the country share the barriers they faced trying to get abortion training. Read more about the extraordinary work to bring training to them. Read More.
- Thursday / February 25, 2021 / American University Library’s Exploring Social Justice Series featured Deirdre Cooper Owens, an award winning author, historian, and reproductive justice advocate. Ms. Cooper Owens presented “The Long Arm of Slavery in the Development of American Gynecology” which discussed the influence and impact of medical racism in reproductive medicine. Watch the presentation.
- Monday / June 14 / 6 – 8 pm CST/ MAP is hosting an online workshop for OB GYN and Family Medicine residents entitled “Introduction to No-Scalpel Vasectomy” with Dr. Grace Shih. Read more about the workshop on our Provider and Community Education page.
- Tuesday / June 22 / 6 – 8 pm CST/ MAP is hosting an online workshop for medical students, residents, clinicians and APC students entitled, “Self-Managed Abortion Out Loud” with Dr. April Lockley. Read more and register on our Provider and Community Education page.
Our impact is limited only by the resources we raise.
become a trainer
The next generation of providers needs you.
request a speaker
Request a speaker for your upcoming presentation or clinical workshop.